Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Uncle Tom's Cabin - Day 6 & 7

Day 6 & 7 - Chapter 10-16

Well I must admit, I had a hard time meeting this deadline.  That was a lot of pages to accomplish in what seemed like a short amount of time, thus this late post.  Though, the plot thickens as the story moves along and I'm really enjoying the book.  We were introduced to a wealth of new characters in these chapters. 

But starting with the original, again, I am irritated by Haley and his careless casting off of humanity.  He shows such a lack of emotion when it comes to blacks, particularly women and children.  This is a very sensitive area for me as I'm likened to an old hen with a brood of chicks to protect. First it's Hagar being ripped from her last child.  Then he sold the baby out of the cradle from the young mother on the boat.  Levi was sleeping in my arms as I read this chapter.  The suffering of these women was nearly unbearable to me.  I could really relate to them.   

I continue to grow deeply fonder of Tom and his Godly character.  There are several references to his stupidity.  Yet, his undying faith seems to make him one of the more intelligent characters. The Farmer really admires Tom and he actually reminds me of Tom in his kind, patient and faithful way.  

I was a little confused in Chapter 13, The Quaker Settlement.  It seemed the Quakers came out of no where.  The update on Eliza was reassuring, but I had a bit of a hard time following the story at that point.  So where was George and how did he find Eliza?  I felt like I was missing something.  I'm hoping it ties together in a later chapter. 

What do you think of St. Clare?  I'm undecided at this point.  So far, I like him just for buying Tom and treating his slaves respectfully.  Of course, we were easily exhausted by Marie and her pathetic ways.  She's very self absorbed and spoiled.  Ruben just kept saying, "She's so ridiculous!"  The kids LOVE Eva!  Here again, Stowe uses the innocence of a young naive child to teach a lesson in faith and character.


In chapters 10-16, as in previous chapters, I felt Stowe was very effective at showing good vs. evil and using ignorance and innocence to show bliss and upstanding morality.  She uses Tom and Eva, two unlikely characters, to teach us the proper way to a Godly life.  I was reminded of Luke 18:16-17 which says.... 

Then Jesus called for the children and said to this disciples, "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them!  For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children.  I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn't receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it."  

God reminds us that entrance into the Kingdom of God requires childlike faith and dependence on God.  In my mind, Stowe portrays Tom and Eva both naturally have this faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment