Monday, May 6, 2013

A Taste of Mexico

We recently met a mom among local homeschoolers that is from Mexico.  She graciously invited us into her home for a play date and we cooked an authentic Mexican meal.  We started by making Cajeta.  We used this recipe from Pati's Mexican Table.


It's important to use a copper pot for making cajeta.  It is a carmel like sauce made from goat's milk and it is so yummy!!  We all LOVED it!

Our new friend also taught us to make real salsa, the Mexican way.  She said, "if you put sugar in it, it's not Mexican".  I have since made Mexican salsa several times and it's become a family favorite in our home.


Here's the ingredients I used in fresh salsa...

Roma tomatoes - approx. 14-18
1 Sweet Onion
Juice squeezed from 1 lime
Fresh cilantro chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic pressed
Salt to taste

My new friend also showed me a gadget that makes chopping vegetables for salsa a snap.  It's the Vidalia Chop Wizzard.  


I was unaware that such a thing existed.  But let me tell you, this is one of the handiest little gadgets I've used.  And, it appears to be amazingly durable.  I've used it to chop tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, and eggs.  One word of advice is to rinse the blades as soon as you are finished chopping to aid clean up. 

While I'm on the subject, one other kitchen gadget that I wouldn't want to live without is the Pampered Chef Garlic Press.  I just LOVE fresh garlic and put it in many of our dishes. This little kitchen tool makes that possible. 


Anyway, I digress.

Some other foods we tried as part of our Mexican meal were tostadas, guacamole, re fried beans, cactus, and a custard like desert with rice and cinnamon.   All in all, we had a great time and enjoyed the Mexican cuisine.

If you have the opportunity, I encourage you to try a dish or a meal from another culture.  We are happy we did and made a new friend in the process :)

No comments:

Post a Comment