Saturday, January 4, 2014

Bedside Books...

The weatherman's predicting -60 degrees with wind chill on Monday.  Area schools and businesses are already shutting down.  So, why not curl up with a great book!  Here are some of the most recent books by my bedside...




Inspiration

Man in Black: His Own Story in His Own Words by Johnny Cash - I am intrigued by the life of Johnny Cash.  In this autobiography, Cash shares his many imperfections, as well as his desire for the Lord. 

Desperate by Sarah Mae & Sally Clarkson - The title says it all!

Health

Art Smith's Healthy Comfort by Art Smith; Wheat Belly Cookbook by William Davis; and Cooking for Isaiah by Silvana Nardone - My latest attempt at researching a healthier lifestyle :)

Education

Words that Ring Through Time: The Fifty Most Important Speeches in History and How They Changed Our World by Terry Golway - I really just wanted to read Winthrop's City Upon a Hill, but found many other speeches in this book quite fascinating.

The Noah Plan (Reading, English, & Literature) - Researching more on the Principle Approach method of education (I believe the Beautiful Feet guides are based on this method.)

Teaching the Trivium: Christian Homeschooling in a Classical Style by Harvey & Laurie Bluedorn - Reading more about the Classical method of education through Scripture rather than Ancients (I'll definitely be posting more about this book in the future!)

A Philosophy of Education by Charlotte Mason - Volume 6 in Ms. Mason's Original Homeschooling Series - Digging deeper in the Charlotte Mason method of teaching



So there you have it, my attempt at "mother culture".  I don't always read every book from cover to cover, but tend to skim and find pertinent ideas and information.   I also find certain books are more appropriate at certain times.  For example, the Charlotte Mason series is an ongoing resource that I refer to at various times.  There is a wealth of information there and it's not possible to digest it all at once.  I feel the same about Teaching the Trivium, lots of great information to take as needed. 



Here's also a peek back at what was by my bedside last year at this time...

You can reference all my thoughts/notes on Uncle Tom's Cabin here.  Also, check out Julie's Pantry to see one mom's experience using The Homemade Pantry by Alana Chernila

What books are currently by your bedside?

1 comment:

  1. Fun to see your current and past books! I have The Homemade Pantry out from the library right now, hoping to get to it in a week or so. I've been interested in the principle approach, I'll add the Noah plan books to my library list!

    ReplyDelete