Saturday, September 20, 2014

Yellowstone Art Trail....so many handicrafts!!

 My Photo



We went on the Yellowstone Art Trail and it was fabulous!!  Riley and I visited seven of the locations yesterday.  Ruben, Riley, and I finished touring the other six locations today.  We saw and spoke with a variety of artists including painters, potters, spinners, weavers, and woodworkers.  I cannot even pick a favorite because they were all so impressive.  And to think, there are so many wonderful artisans in my neighborhood, I had no idea! 

While on the tour, I was struck by a particular artist who hand hooks wool rugs among other things.  I was expressing my awe in all the talented folks along the trail and she said something about the importance of continuing to make "useful items".  Once again, I was reminded of Charlotte Mason and her idea of handicrafts. 

The points to be borne in mind in children’s handicrafts are: (a.) that they should not be employed in making futilities such as pea and stick work, paper mats, and the like; (b.) that they should be taught slowly and carefully what they are to do; (c.) that slipshod work should not be allowed; (d.) and that therefore, the children’s work should be kept well within their compass.” – Charlotte Mason Vol. 1 Home Education, p. 315

I believe the crafts we saw on the Yellowstone Art Trail are exactly the types of handicrafts that Charlotte would have thought worthy.  So many of these crafts are a lost art.  Many of our products here in the U.S. are mass produced and imported therefore, the young people have no idea where they come from or how they are made.   

After finishing the tour, I felt inspired to create.  I definitely see the importance of teaching our children to make useful things whether for themselves or to give/sell to others. Riley learned several useful skills last school year while participating in a Keepers of the Faith group.  I am so excited to continue that knowledge not only through Keepers this year, but possibly through apprenticing under some of the artisans we met on the tour.  I want to create a mosaic, hook a wool rug, and hand paint a Russian & Byzantine Icon.  :))

If you ever get the opportunity to follow the Yellowstone Art Trail, I highly recommend it!   

No comments:

Post a Comment