Friday, November 21, 2014

The Year of the Horseless Carriage: 1801

For years, I've collected Genevieve Foster books.  They're recommended on all the best reading lists.  I even assign them to my children to read, but I confess, I had not taken the plunge myself.  Oh, I've studied excerpts and read reviews, but I had not read one from cover to cover, until now, and I was pleasantly pleased.

The Year of the Horseless Carriage: 1801 by Genevieve Foster is a treat!  Foster brings major world events from 1801-1821 together in an interesting, understandable fashion.  These were the years of Napoleon's rise and fall.  Who knew that he played such a major role in so many events around the world!  From Richard Trevithick's "horseless carriage" to Robert Fulton's steam engine, from Thomas Jefferson's Louisiana Purchase to the Madison's and the War of 1812, and from Toussaint L'Ouverature's Haiti to Beethoven's symphonies, Napoleon's rule touched the lives of them all. 

I look forward to reading more of Foster's books in the future!  ....and so should you :)



No comments:

Post a Comment