Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Nourishing Traditions Bone Broth...

I've been making homemade soups for years.  However, after talking with other moms at our Charlotte Mason Book Club, I decided to try making bone broth, the base for a variety of soups, a little differently. Attempting to extract more of the bone marrow for health purposes, I cooked the chicken carcass in a roaster with apple cider vinegar and vegetables based on a method found in Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.





I used the bones from an organic chicken, organic apple cider vinegar and vegetables grown organically in our garden.  After cooking the brew most of the day, I discarded the bones and vegetables, leaving just the broth behind.  I then used it to make chicken noodle soup.  Unfortunately, the kids and I didn't like it as well as my usual soup.  I'm not sure if the vinegar gave it a different flavor, because that's really the only difference from how I usually make the broth, or what else it could have been.

Either way, I've been infatuated with Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions cookbook for some time.  After checking it out from the library too many times, I recently bought it on Amazon's Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale.  I'm looking forward to trying other recipes and ideas from the book.

2 comments:

  1. I broke down and bought Nourishing Traditions for myself and wrapped it up last Christmas! We recently started making bone broth too. We love it! It's a whole lot more cost effective too, since I had to mail order my broth at $4 per 32 oz carton! YIKES!!! I'm also looking forward to implementing more from the book, such as soaking ALL of my grains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love homemade broth. :) By the way: WOW. That roaster oven is huge! I don't have one, and I don't think I realized how big they are!

    ReplyDelete