Monday, October 31, 2016

Boy of the Pyramids...

As part of Heart of Dakota's Creation to Christ, I recently finished reading aloud Boy of the Pyramids by Ruth Fosdick Jones to Ruben.  I first read Boy of the Pyramids six years ago.  It was a Simply Charlotte Mason recommendation at that time for grades 1-3.  I remember RileyAnn and I both loving it.  Ruben didn't remember the story so it was fun to re-read with him.

Boy of the Pyramids tells the story of Kaffe, a wealthy ten-year old Egyptian boy and his slave Sari.  It is a mystery set in Ancient Egypt.  Aside from the mystery, there is historical value in which we learned about different aspects of Ancient Egyptian life, including building of the pyramids, the flooding of the Nile River, transportation, geography, pharaohs, slaves, and servitude.  There is mention of Ancient Egyptian gods and certain beliefs about death from that time period, but it is not sensationalized, nor the heart of the story.

I love Jones' book because, like The Golden Bull, it's simple and gentle enough for young children studying Ancient Egypt.  Yet, it's not at all dumbed down.  Boy of the Pyramids is a great example of a living book that I anticipate reading a third time with Levi when he studies this time period.  It is also a TruthQuest recommendation for grades 3-8.

4 comments:

  1. currently we have been studying Acient Eygpt. We have been using Train Up A Child's world history for High Schoolers. It's freshman year for us and even though the recommend grade is slightly lower I bet my daughter would enjoy this as a just because read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not familiar with Train Up a Child, but I do hope you enjoy Boy of the Pyramids :)

      Delete
  2. Curious to know why you didn't stick with Simply Charlotte Mason. Something you are willing to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica,

      I never actually used SCM's history guides, but rather gleaned book ideas and used their table of contents as a spine for creating my own thing. I think very highly of the SCM team and love their outreach to the homeschooling community. I have used a variety of their resources along the way, just not history guides as written...for no particular reason.

      Delete