Saturday, February 4, 2017

Weekly Reflections - Week Twenty-One...


At Home

The kids got puppies!  This was totally unplanned. We saw a local ad for these adorable critters and of course, once you take kids to see free puppies, the rest is history. These sisters were the last two available and have affectionately come to be know as Elsa and Anna.

Academics were as usual this week. We're nearing the end of our study of Greece. I started reading aloud Alexander the Great by John Gunther to Ruben. We are reading from the Landmark edition, but Gunther's history was also recently republished by Sterling. In addition, I see it's available on Audible as well. It's a great read so far!

Yesterday Riley, Ruben and I went to see a live musical adaptation of James and the Giant Peach. I was amazed by the costuming and the number of wardrobe changes. Several of the actors were fellow homeschoolers and they were spectacular. For a small time performance, it was a big time hit.

Around the Web

In which, Brian Phillips gives A List of Poems Every Young Man Should Know. This is an excellent list that I'm tagging for my boys.

In 8 Starters That Can Guide Conversation on Any Great Book, Joshua Leland gives great conversation starters with out leading the student in any sort of false comprehension test. If your older child (middle/high school) struggles with narration, I think this would be a wonderful tool to help them get started.

Joshua Gibbs gave me something to think about in A Classical Education Is Not About Being Saved, But Being Good.  I'm still pondering this one.

Over the next month, I'm going to try recipes from 12 Mind-Blowing Ways To Cook Meat In Your Crockpot. I've been using my crockpot more lately and liking it!

While in KY, I looked at Early Sacred Music by Professor Carol. I've since been trying to decide whether to use it next year or wait until our third and final pass through history, which will be in high school. I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who's used her courses.





1 comment: