Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Updated Rome Study....


I've pretty much scrapped the Heart of Dakota Creation to Christ  history plan for Ruben. I'm switching to some Beautiful Feet Ancient History books.  He's already read D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths and is currently reading Galen and the Gateway to Medicine, which are also BF books, for the study of Greece.

This term, Ruben will read from Augustus Caesar's World, The Bronze Bow, and City as part of his study. In addition, he will continue to notebook and add to his timeline. We were getting too bogged down with the HOD CTC books. There seems to be a lot of extra there that he really wasn't enjoying and neither was I. Instead of learning, we were getting at each other. Since history has always been our kid's favorite subject, it was time to try something else before he lost his love.

Ruben is still reading the DK Illustrated Family Bible and he is listening to What in the World?  We will also continue to use the science portion of HOD CTC and utilize the Robert Frost poetry selections. I've contemplated having him read The Famous Men of Rome on his own, but so far, the BF readings have been a bit long so I'm inclined to leave it as is.

For notebooking, I'm drawing from the BF Ancient History study guide as well as Draw & Write Through History: Greece and Rome. I've included some of his notebooking pages thus far below....






With only twelve weeks left of our 2016-2017 academic year, we're hoping to finish strong. By the way, Riley, Ruben and I are also studying Julius Caesar by Shakespeare with our Middle School Book Club throughout the month of March. We will read one act per week for five weeks. Then most likely watch the movie. I'm looking forward to it! 

2 comments: