Monday, June 18, 2018

Summer Mother Culture and Schole....


I realized I've been diligently working through reading my summer Mother Culture/Schole list of books, but haven't shared it with you. So, without further adieu, here you have it...

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo - We have tickets to the Broadway Musical in December! I have never attended the musical, or watched the movie for that matter, so I thought it would be fun to read the book before attending. Earlier this spring, I re-assembled my Summer Schole Sisters reading group from two years ago and Les Mis it is. Being five volumes, it's a huge book! We plan to meet every couple of weeks to discuss one volume. We already met to discuss Vol. 1, Fantine, which was incredible! Next week, we will meet to discuss Vol. 2, Cosette. I can't wait! It's so delightful to have a group of friends to read and discuss with. I really do recommend finding your sister(s)!

The Liberal Arts Tradition by Clark and Jain - You may remember this book being on my Mother Culture list a couple of years ago. Sadly, I never made it through. However, my CM Study Group decided to pick it up this spring and now we are already nearing the end, with only one section left. I do plan to post a series of blogs, sharing my notes later this summer on The Liberal Arts Tradition. We've had great discussion!

Westward Ho! by Charles Kingsley - This is a book I had scheduled for Riley in her third term. We both started, but didn't get through it so we vowed to finish this summer.

Vol. 1, Home Education & Vol. 6, A Philosophy of Education by Charlotte Mason - My CM Study group also read and discussed both of these volumes in the past. However, I will be returning to them this summer as I look ahead to our 2018-2019 academic year planning. Oh, and I still need to finish blogging through Vol. 1....ahem!

What books are you reading this summer to re-fill your mama cup? Feel free to share in the comments below...

2 comments:

  1. That's a full quota of books you have there. I think a couple of my reads should be classed as 'for the term of her natural life.' I've been so slow with some, especially Norms & Nobility, although I do tend to have too many books on the go at the same time. I did just finish the Kristin Lavransdatter trilogy, which, surprisingly didn't take me long at all. Enjoy your reading, Melissa & trust your storm didn't last long the other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol...some how I missed your comment until now :( Charlotte Mason would be happy about your slow read :) I have looked at N&N many times, but don't own a copy. It looks like a slow read would be best to digest all the great thought. I look forward to your future posts on it Yes, the storm passed fairly quickly and thankfully, we didn't have any real damage in our area. I was just talking to my Summer Schole Sisters group about the possibility of Kristin Lavransdatter next summer. It's been on my list for a couple of years.

      Delete