Thursday, October 11, 2018

2018-2019 Grade 1 Curriculum Preview


It's been a few years since I've taught 1st grade in our homeschool....seven to be exact! Truth be told, I was a little more anxious about it than beginning high school again this year. There's so much more to choose from now. It's almost overwhelming. I have pinched, pulled, and tweaked along the way, pouring over a variety of resources. It's going well so far, but we are still settling in.

Today, I'm going to share the resources we are using at this point for 1st grade. It does not include the Morning Time list, which you can see here. You can also check out our 8th grade and 9th grade plans to get an idea of the big picture happening in our home.

Bible and Character

The Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos - See Morning Time plans
Polite Moments by Gary and Cathy Maldaner

A Mind in the Light Year One - The Complete Guide by Lisa Kelly - You will find the complete list of books used at her website. I will simply list the books I am personally using here. Some are suggested in her guide and some are books I've chosen.

History and Geography

A Child's History of the World by V. M. Hillyer - We started this book, but have since decided to hold off and will most likely be starting Beautiful Feet Book's Early American History Primary over the next couple of weeks, since it is the same time period as my older kids. I found that I don't like having everyone in a different period. For this reason, we will not be reading the other AMITL suggested history books this year, but will wait until we go back to Ancients.

Regarding the geography books listed below, I will use the ones I own or can easily find from the library. I also plan to begin using Beautiful Feet Book's Around the World With Picture Books as a substitute for our Morning Time Geography read. I will post more about that at another time.

The Nile River by Allan Fowler 

Science and Nature Study



Literature and Poetry


Now We Are Six by A. A. Milne - AO Year 1
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost  - Five in a Row
When We Were Very Young by A. A. Milne - AO Year 1
The Perfect Wizard: Hans Christian Andersen by Jane and Dennis Yolen
Pioneer Girl: The Story of Laura Ingalls Wilder by William Anderson
The True Story of Peter Rabbit by Jane Johnson
Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams - AO Year 1
Charlotte's Web by E. B. White - AO Year 1
Andersen's Fairy Tales by H. C. Andersen
Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder- AO Year 1
Tales of Peter Rabbit and Friends by Beatrix Potter - Five in a Row
Aesop for Children by Milo Winter - AO Year 1
Tales from the Odyssey by Mary Pope Osborne Vol. 1 & Vol. 2
Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater - AO Year 2
C. W. Anderson’s Billy and Blaze books:
     - Billy and Blaze
     - Blaze Shows the Way

The Arts - Will be done in Morning Time


Classics for Children - audio CD 
Meet the Orchestra by Ann Hayes
Sergei Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf illustrated by Peter Malone

All About Reading Level 1 by Marie Rippel

Penmanship


Math

Charlotte Mason's Elementary Arithmetic 1 by Richele Baburina - Simply Charlotte Mason

This may look like a long list for 1st grade. However, many of the readings are broken up into small parts. Some of the literature reads, I do at bedtime. This allows for short lessons, as we are still grooming the habit of attention. It doesn't feel heavy in the day to day. 

2 comments:

  1. Can you tell me more about how you used BF Around the World in Pic Books for geography in MT alone? Did you do anything more with BF? Did you need the guide to do it, or just the books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kim, truth be told, I didn't end up using BF Around the World in Picture Books this year. Instead, I decided to hold off and begin in the fall. My plan is to use it in a similar way that I used Galloping the Globe years ago with my older kids. You should be able to find GtG posts by clicking on it on the right sidebar. I have a master plan/schedule for studying countries there. We love BF! I did pull from an American guide for my 9th grade daughter, but didn't use it as written. I also started the BF Early American Primary with my youngest, but he wasn't quite ready so we will hold off on that as well. I used it with my older kids somewhere around 3rd-5th grade and I think that was a more developmentally appropriate age. Blessings, Melissa

      Delete