Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Commonplace Book...Henryk Sienkiewicz


...but Peter spoke up, "My children, on Golgotha I saw the Lord crucified.  I heard the hammer and saw the nails entering his feet and hands.  I saw Him elevated on the cross.  And, I cried out , 'Woe to us! You are God and You permit this?  We expected your kingdom to reign on earth.  Why this?'  But He, our Lord and Our God, hung on the cross and died.  He died for us all.  To free us for eternal salvation.  Yes, He died but He rose again from the dead on the third day.  He tarried with us and then ascended into heaven.  And we, with our faith fortified anew, go about strengthening and rallying the faith in others."

He then turned toward the voice of the first complain, "Why do you complain?  God Himself suffered crucifixion and death.  Is this the only life which you have?  Isn't there eternity waiting for you?  The Lord is saying to each one of  you, 'Follow me,' and He's lifting us toward Himself.  But you are clutching frantically to this earth crying, 'Help me!'  I am but dust in the eyes of God but I am also His Apostle, the Shepherd which He appointed to guard over you and so I say to you, death is not the only thing before you.  After death you will have life everlasting.  No more suffering and pain but everlasting delight and happiness awaits you."

"I then tell you, widow, whose son was taken away, that he will not die forever but will live in eternity and where you will join him in happiness.

"You, mother, whose daughters were defiled, I tell you that you will see them pure and white as the lilies of the valley.  You, mothers and fathers, who have lost children, to you I say, you will regain them in heaven; your tears will be dried and your suffering turned into joy.  You, who are about to be imprisoned and to die in the arena, I tell you most solemnly, you will be resurrected into glory after a few moments of suffering and pain.  You, who will witness dear ones suffer, know and be sure that it must be so before the reign of God will supplant the reign of terror and evil.  In the name of Christ, may you see the light and truth of my words and may your souls be strengthened."

Thus speaking, he lifted up his weary head and looked up, full of majesty and promise.  To the listeners he was no longer a poor, white-haired old man.  No.  He now was a pillar of strength and hope who would take up the pain and suffering of each one of them and present them at the feet of his Lord and Master.

"Amen! Amen!" they all cried out.  - Quo Vadis? by Henryk Sienkiewicz

1 comment:

  1. "He now was a pillar of strength and hope who would take up the pain and suffering of each one of them and present them at the feet of his Lord and Master." << Beautiful. A perfect reading for Lent. Thank you for sharing, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete