Friday, May 13, 2016

Friday Findings: School Reviews, Hiding a Bible, Classical Education, and Charlotte Mason...

We're down to one week left of our official academic school year here on Drywood Creek!  You may have noticed some of my review/wrap-up posts over the past couple of weeks.

Beautiful Feet History of Science
Beautiful Feet Modern American and World History
Life of Fred

Over the coming months, I will continue to review as well as brainstorm about possibilities for fall.  I've also been cleaning shelves and purging books.  I have listed and will continue to list books as they become available.

Around the web this week I found Rea Berg's historical post, A Bible in a Chignon? fascinating.  We have so many freedoms here in America, that it's hard to fathom not being able to freely worship.  ....And, our ancestors were so clever!

How do you define Classical Education?  In What is Classical Education?, Dr. Christopher Perrin attempts to share his thoughts on a definition.  I'm a word girl so the etymology of 'classical education' is interesting to me, but Dr. Perrin's analogies are also fabulous in painting a picture of classical education.  There is so much to ponder in his 16-minute video clip at the bottom.  I will more than likely be watching it again many times over as I further my study of classical education.  The last 60 seconds spoke volumes to me.

I started reading Consider This by Karen Glass when it was first published, but got distracted and let if fall by the wayside.  It's now back on my summer reading list as I hope to pick up and finish where I left off.  In the meantime, Carol at Journey and Destination gave a wonderful overview in Consider This: Charlotte Mason and the Classical Tradition by Karen Glass.

We're also thinking about planting our vegetable gardens soon, though the possibility of frost has not quite past.  Dear daughter has been working fervently in the flower gardens, while brother inspects :)




No comments:

Post a Comment