Saturday, August 12, 2017

Reflections - Summer Edition 5...


At Home

Summer is flying by! Riley's softball is done. Ruben's trap shooting has ended. The garden is producing. Home education planning is in progress.

I'm also in the process of writing two talks for the Journey: An Education for Life retreat with Cindy Rollins. Early bird registration ends today so don't delay! You can find more information and register here.

There are still many wonderful books available on our sale lists if you're in need of a good read. The history and lit lists are fabulous! I just love rescuing old books and getting them in the hands of appreciation. Riley and I attended a local annual library sale this week. Check out a small portion of our cache here.

Speaking of Riley, she cut nearly 12 inches of hair yesterday and donated to Locks of Love. Her new do is stunning!

Around the Web

This week, I listened to Mystie Winckler's Why I Love Interval Planning webinar. I really like the idea of planning in smaller chunks. It makes the task of doing seem more manageable.

I'm delighting in Instagram. I'm visual and love photography so it's a win/win! If you're on IG, come join me at https://www.instagram.com/melissaondrywoodcreek/

I appreciated AO with the Less Academic Child, Revisited by Brandy at Afterthoughts this week. I have a child who learns differently so I'm always looking for ways and means to meet him where he's at.

On My Shelf

Nathan Coulter by Wendell Berry - It's a small book, but still overdue from the library. I haven't had a lot of reading time this summer. However, I'm nearing the end and hoping to finish this weekend. So far, it's worth the fine ;-)

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson - I heard this is going to be the next Close Reads book and I've been wanting to read it for some time. This gives me an excuse to move it to my bedside pile.

Mere Motherhood by Cindy Rollins - Our CM Study Group has decided to take a hiatus from Home Education by Charlotte Mason to read Cindy's book before the upcoming Journey: An Education for Life retreat. I'm really looking forward to it!

The Adventures of Lightfoot the Deer by Thornton Burgess - I'm reading this aloud to Levi. It's his first chapter book and first Burgess book. We only have one chapter left and he's loving it.

The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings - This has been on my want to read list for years, but I wanted to wait for the right time with the kids. I finally started reading it aloud earlier this summer, but sadly due to our busy life, we haven't gotten back to it. However, I'm going to be very intentional in the coming months about reading it. Since evenings have been scheduled, maybe it will become a morning time read.

What's on your shelf?

No comments:

Post a Comment