Monday, January 16, 2017

2016-2017 Mid-Year Reflections - Beautiful Feet Ancient History


We are mid way through our 2016-2017 academic year so I thought it'd be appropriate to update you on Riley's Beautiful Feet Ancient History Intermediate study.  So far, Riley has read...

Streams of Civilization 
The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt
Tales of Ancient Egypt
The Golden Goblet
Pyramid

Below are a couple of notebooking pages from her Egypt study.  You can see more of her early notebooking pages in this post from week eight



She has since finished her study of early civilization and Egypt and is presently working through Greece.  Riley is currently reading D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths and The Children's Homer.



In addition to the Beautiful Feet selections, I've added Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus, both by Rosemary Sutcliff  as well as The Story of the Greeks by H. A. Guerber.  She writes weekly narrations on the Sutcliff books and simply reads the Guerber book for additional information.



Overall, Riley is really enjoying this study.  She is working independently, but I do look over her notebooking pages and read her narrations. Also, since Ruben and I are studying the same time period, albeit with different books, we are able to have meaningful family discussions as we go.  At this point, I wish I would have chosen Beautiful Feet for Ruben as well. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Melissa. I decided to purchase an updated copy of the Ancients guide this last weekend and am now anxiously awaiting it. We've enjoyed our years with BF. I'm not sure why I started looking around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Tami...glad it was helpful :)

    ReplyDelete