Saturday, January 7, 2017

Weekly Reflections - Week Seventeen...



















At Home

The tree has come down and at some point soon, the recumbent bike and a puzzle table are going up.  I love puzzles, but because I've had little's for so many years, I haven't done one for fear of 1000 pieces being dumped upside down.  However, Levi is now 4 1/2 and I'd like to give it a try. He's actually quite excited at the prospect because he loves putting his puzzles together. Winter in Wisconsin is a great time for reading, board games, and puzzles. I'll let you know how it goes.

This week we were back to our regular academic schedule.  All went very well. Ruben finished up a couple of books in history and we'll be moving into Greece next week. Truth be told, I'm getting a bit tired of HOD's Creation to Christ. I've already culled some books and intend to switch out a few more during this next time period. I'm opting to add books we already have on our shelves instead of purchasing their suggested titles. I'll be posting a review in the future.

Riley is working on playing catch up in math. Her online class starts back next week.  She got slightly behind with choir falling on the same day as her online math class and then of course, the holidays.  So she's got one week's worth of assignments to do before class on Thursday, which shouldn't be a problem.  I also intend to post a review of her math soon.

Riley, Ruben and I are all reading Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.  Our Middle School Book Club will meet this week for discussion.  It's a meaty read and should provide much food for fodder.

Levi is still asking about doing school.  He's so excited to participate with the older kids.  The quiet time activity boxes I made for him are working very well.  I just hope his enthusiasm sticks in future years when it really counts.  I will be completing a preschool post as well.

Around the Web

I've been contemplating Andrew Kern's posts on Arts vs. Subjects (Post 1 and Post 2). I think he's on to something here...but then again, Andrew Kern usually is ;-)

Have you seen Mystie and Carol's 2017 reading plans?  Establishing a reading plan has been on my mind this week as well.  I'm still trying to decide whether or not to join a challenge or simply do my own thing.

I thoroughly enjoyed Karen Andreola's lovely biographical sketch titled A Peek at Charlotte Mason's Early Life. I learned a few new details about Charlotte's early life and now I really want to go read North and South.

Speaking of reading, a friend sent me Required reading: The books that students read in 28 countries around the world. I recognized books from about five countries.

Oh so true!.... Physician tells parents, 'You're doing it wrong" is great! I won't get on my soapbox, but go read it and share with everyone you know :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm off to explore the links you shared. I had read the Charlotte Mason narrative from Karen Andreola when she posted it - it was so interesting!
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think Tristan...

    ReplyDelete