Thursday, January 5, 2017

Prompted By The 2017 Home Organization Challenge...

I showed you one of my closets in How I Intend to Simplify and be Present with Joy this New Year. It's not good! I have vowed to do better. This is the year where the rubber meets the road regarding simplifying and organization.  

A couple of days ago, while drooling over Jennifer Mackintosh's pictures at Wildflowers and Marbles, I came across her post on The 2017 Home Organization Challenge designed by Toni Hammersley. I was intrigued and printed Toni's Free Challenge Kit.  I don't have Toni's book, The Complete Book of Home Organization, but quickly ordered it from the local library.  Unfortunately, I'm behind four other people, but after seeing how beautiful the book looks on Amazon, I just may splurge and purchase it. You don't need the book to work through the challenge.

Toni makes home organization look manageable.  I'm actually getting excited about it.  I love the look of her processes on the free challenge kit! However, some of the spaces included in the initial 14 weeks do not pertain to me, namely the dining room since ours is one big room attached to the kitchen and really has no storage space; and the launch pad, which is more or less divided into multiple spaces throughout our home. On the other hand, I would really like to tackle the basement this year so this is an area I am adding to the challenge.  Also, part of organizing some of my areas are dependent on other areas.  So, I just may switch up the order of the challenge.

I most likely won't be starting the challenge this Saturday, January 7th because I just found it and we have other plans this weekend.  But, I definitely intend to use Toni's challenge ideas as a springboard for my 2017 simplifying mission. Stay tuned for future posts throughout the year regarding my progress.  Hopefully, if all goes well, by this time next year, our home will be whipped into shape!



By the way, I am also a fan of Mystie Winckler's Simplified Organization. Her no nonsense approach is encouraging.  I regularly check my attitude at the door after reading her posts.

Do you know of any other home organization sites?  How do you simplify and organize your home?  I'd love to hear about it.  Feel free to use the contact form on the right or leave a comment below.


2 comments:

  1. One way I am simplifying this year is with cooking and meal planning. We're all morning people and have the best appetites during breakfast and lunch, so this year I am using the slow cooker to have a nice hot lunch ready for us every day and then I serve a very light supper involving minimal effort. I make a plate of whatever we had for lunch to save for my husband (he doesn't get home til 7pm) and he also takes the leftovers to work the next day. As long as I have my meal plan in place and note down what needs to be defrosted when, etc., this really streamlines cooking/clean up for me. Plus I have way more energy early in the day than I do at 5pm! I bet this wouldn't be as appealing in a cold climate where you really want a hot, filling supper, but for us sweaty Floridians, it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your meal planning ideas Ivy Mae! Yes, breakfast and dinner are typically our largest meals, with a light lunch, often leftovers. Although, I too have been making better use of my crockpot lately, putting meat in about mid morning so it's done for dinner. You are right, this saves a lot of time and in my case, because I am a morning person as well, and am usually fried by dinner, a lot of energy :)

    BTW, I don't know where you are in FL, but I'm so incredibly shaken and sorry to hear of the shooting today at the airport. We'll be praying for the offender, victims, and Floridians alike.

    Blessings,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete