Saturday, January 28, 2017

Weekly Reflections - Week Twenty...


At Home

It was a fairly uneventful week here on Drywood Creek, which I've really come to appreciate. Aside from work, study, and leisure, there's not much to report. There was outdoor fort making, LEGO building, coloring, and toy sorting for a purge going on. In addition, I'm still contemplating the CiRCE Regional Conference and how what I learned will be applied to our home, turning principle and philosophy into practical practices.

Around the Web

Check out the fabulous photo of An Evening with Wendell Berry on Professor Carol's blog.  As mentioned previously in another post, I really enjoyed Mr. Berry's reading and Q&A.

Choosing Bach in a Brothel Culture by Allison Burr got me thinking about a conversation at church. When asked what makes it difficult to practice faith in our families, pop culture is the first thing that came to mind. In her post, Burr reminds us that the Lord "has declared victory over the darkness masquerading as light" and it's our job to cultivate affections toward the Savior.

In Morning Time with Boys, Kathy Weitz and Pam Barnhill hit it out of the park.  There is really great wisdom there from a veteran homeschool mom that is applicable not only to boys, but all our children.

I also listened to an older Schole Sisters Podcast on Poetic Bible Lessons. It sounds as though Mr. Middlekauf has done his homework. I appreciate the resources listed in the shownotes.

Lastly, Adam Andrews' post, What is a Classic, Anyway?, put me in mind of a post I wrote some time ago attempting to define the difference between a living book and a classic, which was prompted after a reader question.

On My Shelf

Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry - I'm on chapter seven and listening to the CiRCE Close Reads podcasts as I go.

Call of the Wild by Jack London - Our February Middle School Book Club read

Consider This, Charlotte Mason and the Classical Tradition by Karen Glass - We're finishing the book this month for discussion during our February CM Study Group meeting.

D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths by Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire, The Golden Days of Greece and The Trojan War, both of which are by Olivia Coolidge - I'm reading aloud with Ruben as part of his ancient history study

Plant Life in Field and Garden by Arabella B. Buckley - I'm reading aloud to Ruben as part of the HOD science study.  We recently finished Birds of the Air by the same author and really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment