Thursday, October 19, 2017

My Current Mother Culture - Oct 2017

 What we need is a habit of taking our minds out of what one is tempted to call "the domestic rag-bag" of perplexities, and giving it a good airing in something which keeps it "growing."  - Parents' Review, Volume 3 1892/93, Mother Culture
Mother Culture is growing one's mind through reading, handicrafts, nature, and fine arts to keep it fresh. It's what Charlotte Mason suggested mother's do for themselves to avoid burn out. As my kids get older, I find it more difficult to keep up with their reading and continue to do my own. Therefore, I have taken up reading some of RileyAnn's school books for my Mother Culture. I didn't find time this summer to pre-read and yet I wanted to be aware of what she was reading. One, to answer questions she may have and two, to have meaningful discussion with her. Therefore, I have decided to make my Mother Culture list based on her academic reading. Here are my latest reads....

English Literature for Boys and Girls by H. E. Marshall (AO Year 7-10)
Watership Down by Richard Adamas (AO Year 7)
Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott (AO Year 7)

I am also reading aloud some of Ruben's books. We recently finished Beowulf by Michael Morpurgo and One Thousand and One Arabian Nights by Geraldine McCaughrean. Next week we will begin reading King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table by Roger Lancelyn Green. It's all about Medieval History this year. Of course, there's also our Morning Time reads, which afford me much to contemplate. In addition, I recently started notebooking along with Riley and Ruben as part of my creative outlet.

Lastly, my CM Study Group is still working through Charlotte Mason's Vol.1, Home Education.  And, I have several stacks by the bed in case I ever have time to dive into something else. Mother Culture is a must! One simply cannot pour out for others from an empty pitcher.

What are your current Mother Culture reads? How are you feeding your mind in order to give to your family? Feel free to share in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment