Saturday, January 24, 2015

Sunny Saturday...and Other Random Thoughts...

It was a gorgeous January Saturday here in WI!  The sun has been shining and melting snow the past couple of days.  We even have a patch of grass in our lawn :)

Meanwhile, it's been a busy week.  I thought I'd give a quick run down of some random thoughts...

Riley's Keepers of the Faith group met and made candy.  They made this Saltwater Taffy Recipe, Oreo Truffles, and Easy Fantasy Fudge.  I enjoyed taste testing ;-)

Ruben is still tutoring at our local Children's Dyslexia Center.  What a gift this has been!  He's reading and asking for books :)))  This week he read Getting to Know the U. S. Presidents, Zachary Taylor by Mike Venezia


Levi is absolutely hilarious in his own right!  He talks a mile a minute and says the funniest things.  He's been repeating Mother Goose rhymes and singing songs....too cute!

This week in Bible, we read about the plagues in Genesis.  In science, we read about Earth and Mars.  In history, we studied the Battle of the Alamo.  We also started reading Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell and Jessie Benton Fremont, California Pioneer by Marguerite Higgins, both are Beautiful Feet recommendations. 

Around the web, I really appreciated this post by Brandy Vencel at Afterthoughts.....The Necessity of a Broad and Generous Curriculum.   I have not yet gotten to the Darwin quote by Charlotte in Vol 6, page 54, but it's a part of this month's CM Book Club reading.  I'm looking forward to our upcoming meeting on Feb. 6th!

I'm still contemplating Sarah's post at Amongst Lovely Things....How I (Finally) Beat My Sugar Cravings...  I totally agree with her statement about not being a foodie.  Overall, we eat a healthy balanced diet of homegrown and home cooked food.  I don't want to jump on any food bandwagons that are out there.  But of course, there are things I could clean up for my sake and my family's.  I've been researching the whole paleo thing for over a year. The jury is still out as to whether or not I want to commit.

Something else I've been debating is whether or not to commit to the 2015 Back to the Classics Challenge hosted by Karen at Books and Chocolate.  I'm super intrigued and can't stop clicking back there to see what everyone is reading.  The Willa Cather novel I just finished qualifies in several of the book categories.  My issue is, I'm very noncommittal regarding assigning a number to the amount of classic literatire I want to read.   As soon as I think about starting a book, I'm checking the copyright to see if it was published before 1965.  Oh, the crazy pressure we put on ourselves!

BTW, I've been working on a new book sale list and plan to post it Monday.  If you're in the planning stages or looking ahead to the next school year, consider checking back.  There's many great living books included!

That's all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment