Wednesday, August 10, 2016

2016-2017 Curricula Choice - Beautiful Feet Ancient History....


It occurred to me that I keep mentioning the fact that we'll be using Beautiful Feet this year, but I really haven't shared the plan so here goes.  RileyAnn will be using Beautiful Feet Ancient History as her primary curricula for 7th grade.  She's really excited about the great books she'll be reading and I'm very pleased with the intermediate level book choices as well.  Here's the list of suggested resources and literature used in the guide, as well as a little bit about our plan for each suggested resource:

BF Ancient History guide - We will be using the first half or intermediate section of the guide, which was written for 5th - 8th grade.  The guide is intended to be completed in one traditional school year.  There are 71 lessons total in the intermediate section so I am scheduling Riley to complete about two lessons per week.  She will work independently on the reading and notebook assignments.  I will listen to oral narrations and read written narrations weekly, with periodic checks on her notebook.  We will also have regular discussion prompted from the study guide questions.  There is an answer key in the guide for the discussion questions.  I will give Riley a copy of the lessons for her to use as her guide on which, I will mark and highlight the questions, writing prompts, mapwork, etc. that I wish her to complete. I will retain the actual guide for myself so we can stay on the same page.

Streams of Civilization text and test booklet -  I was a little up in the air about using this book as some have reported it to be very dry.  However, I think in the start we'll give it a try and play it by ear.  Upon skimming the pages, there looks to be a lot of good information there and I like the fact that it's biblically based.  I will not be administering the tests.

The Student Bible Atlas by Tim Dowley - Riley will complete the mapwork in the BF Ancient History guide using the Bible Atlas for guidance.  I did end up purchasing the new edition and I hope it matches up.  It really is a beautiful book.

Ancient History Timeline - We will not be using the BF Ancient History Timeline.  Instead, I hope to encourage Riley in using her Book of Centuries.  You may recall, I made the BOC last year, however, it didn't get used.  I failed to instruct and remind Riley about how to incorporate it into her study.  This year, I aim to walk her through the process for the first few weeks or however long it takes to become a habit.  I also hope to begin keeping my own BOC.

Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt by Elizabeth Payne
Tales of Ancient Egypt by Roger Lancelyn Green
Pyramid by David Macaulay
The Golden Goblet by Eloise Jarvis McGraw
Ancient Greece by Christine Hatt
D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths by Ingri and Edgar D'Aulaire
The Children's Homer by Padraic Colum
Augustus Caesar's World by Genevieve Foster (also used in AO Year 6)
Galen and the Gateway to Medicine by Jeanne Bendick
The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth Speare
City by David Macaulay
The White Isle by Caroline Dale Snedecker

Doesn't that look like a great literature list!  We're both looking forward to it and as mentioned previously, a few of the books cross over with Ruben's HOD Creation to Christ study.  I will also be adding a couple of books from Ambleside Online Year 6 to Riley's Ancient History study, but will explain more about that in a 2016-2017 curriculum overview post.  I am really excited about the potential discussion within the family as we begin our journey through Ancient History this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment