Wednesday, August 31, 2016

2016-2017 Homeschool Plan, 6th Grade...

Since this is my third go around with 6th grade, one might think it would be easy, no decisions necessary, just follow what you've already done.  Ha, let me tell you, there is no one size fits all.  Not to mention, I'd be bored doing the same thing....yes, I create my own crazy ;-)

As mentioned in a previous post, I'm trying something totally new with Ruben this year.  He is going to use Heart of Dakota Creation to Christ, among other things. I will be modifying the program to meet our needs.   The following is Ruben's Year 6 complete plan...


Bible - The DK Illustrated Family Bible (HOD); Throughout the HOD plan, Ruben will also be studying the Book of Ruth, Jonah, and Esther directly from the bible.

Citizenship - I'm still thinking about Plutarch and will most likely add something later in the year.

History and Literature - I did omit a few of the HOD selections because we already read them or I plan to substitute something that we already own on our shelf.  I will play it by ear when the time comes as far as substituting and/or adding, but for now, the following are Ruben's intended history and lit picks...

The Story of the Ancient World by Christine Miller (HOD)
Genesis: Finding Our Roots by Ruth Beechick (HOD, AO 6)
What in the World? Vol. 1: Ancient Civilizations and the Bible by Diana Waring (HOD)
Draw and Write Through  History: Greece and Rome by Carylee Gressman (HOD)
Dinosaurs of Eden by Ken Ham (HOD)
The Golden Bull by Marjorie Cowley (HOD)
Boy of the Pyramids, A Mystery of Ancient Egypt by Ruth Fosdick Jones (HOD, SCM)
Hittite Warrior by Joanne Williamson (HOD, Sonlight)
Jashub's Journal: An Old Testament Law Story by Simply Charlotte Mason (HOD, SCM)
Within the Palace Gates by Anna Pierpoint Siviter (HOD)
Peeps at Many Lands: Ancient Greece by James Baikie (HOD)
God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah by Joanne Williamson (HOD)
Alexander the Great by John Gunther (HOD)
Cleopatra by Diane Stanley (HOD)
Famous Men of Rome by John H. Haaren & A.B. Poland (HOD, SCM)
City: A Story of Roman Planning and Construction by David Macaulay (HOD, Beautiful Feet)
Traveling the Way by Drusilla McGowen (HOD)
Twice Freed by Patricia St. John (HOD, My Father's World)



Book of Centuries - I plan to have Ruben begin a BOC this year. 

Geography - A Child's Geography II - Explore the Holy Land by Ann Voskamp and Tonia Peckover (HOD)

Math - I plan to use the Math on the Level approach with Ruben this year.  MOTL will allow me to teach math concepts in an order appropriate for Ruben's readiness rather than a contrived scope and sequence.   The program's "Concept Chart" helps me keep track of the concepts he's mastered as well as the concepts I have left to teach.  The program is very flexible and offers enough math instruction for pre-k through pre-algebra.

Science 

Apologia's Exploring Creation with Zoology 3: Land Animals of the Sixth Day (HOD)
Birds of the Air by Arabella Buckley (HOD, AO)
Plant Life in Field and Garden by Arabella Buckley (HOD, AO)
Exploring the History of Medicine by John Hudson Tiner (HOD, Sonlight)
Galen and the Gateway to Medicine by Jeanne Bendick (HOD, Beautiful Feet)
An Illustrated Adventure in Human Anatomy by Kate Sweeney (HOD)


Literature - Much of Ruben's literature is a part of his history study this year.  I'm still working out which books he'll read on his own and which will be read alouds for me.  I'm also in the process of planning another book club for Riley and Ruben this year, which will add to their literature.  I will post more about that in the future as it comes to fruition. 

Poetry - Ruben will study the poems of Robert Frost this year through HOD. 

Composition - Ruben will continue oral narration and begin written narration this year.  I also bought Writing & Rhetoric by Classical Academic Press to aid us in this transition.


Grammar - I plan to use a combination of Winston Grammar and Harvey's Grammar, which are both new programs for me as far as teaching.

Latin - I'm debating on Latin. I have English from the Roots Up and may use it in the beginning or I may have Ruben follow along with Riley in Latin for Children (Classical Academic Press). I hope to tie grammar and Latin together to make it more practical as Ruben is a no nonsense kind of guy.  I love the way Henle Latin does this, but I'm a little intimidated since I've never studied Latin personally.  This will be a learning experience for both of us.

Spelling - I'm going to have Ruben try IEW Phonetic Zoo along with Riley.  I'll also pull from How to Teach Spelling, which was a program his tutor referenced at the Children's Dyslexia Center.

Shakespeare - I'm hoping to lead a group of 6th through 8th graders in the study of Julius Caesar toward spring. Shakespeare will be a new adventure for me and Ruben as well.

Art - Ruben will participate in our local homeschool art class.

Music - Ruben will participate in our local homeschool choir.

I'm really looking forward to Ruben's academics this year.  Since learning to read, he has blossomed in his thinking.  I'm hopeful for a positive year of transition to help him gain more independence.  As mentioned above, I'll be modifying his curricula to meet his learning style.  I'm excited about the mix of great books, audio material, and hands on drawing opportunities that HOD has to offer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment