Saturday, November 5, 2011

"Reluctant Pilgrim"

  Reluctant Pilgrim by Enuma Okoro is the story of one woman's journey through life searching for spiritual community.  She has a strong love for God, but time and again finds disappointment through attending various churches.  In chapter 16, Okoro states, "Very little has challenged or compelled me to be any different than who I was before I walked into the sanctuary.  I have heard plenty of good sermons that make me think or muse the way I would after a really good lecture or story.  I have also heard sermons that make me feel guilty about being who I am, a middle-class American citizen with health care, a private education, and endless choices of sugared cereal in aisle 6.  But I can't remember the last time I heard a sermon that threatened me with endless grace, no matter my circumstances, no matter my actions, while at the same time reminding me that God calls me to be so much more than I am."   

With humor and humility, Okoro comes full circle in her search to find a church that calls her to think about who she is and what God might expect her to do with it all.  Reluctant Pilgrim is an easy read.  Okoro starts out sharing her childhood hardships, then moves into various adult friendships while dabbling in different churches.  After an unexpected tragedy, she's able to pull sunshine out of the rain.  I give the book 3 out of 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment