Friday, January 22, 2016

Friday Findings: Pageant of History, Beginning Ideas on Homeschool, Dyslexic Strengths, On Teaching Writing....

I've been having a bit of trouble getting started these past few weeks.  Here in WI, the daylight really doesn't come until 7:30-8:00 a.m., which I attribute to our lazy start.  Although, I can tell we are gaining daylight in the late afternoon/evening. We are still managing to cover our academic subjects, but unfortunately, not much else.

On the other hand, I've been thinking about which direction to take in the fall, when I have a rising 7th grader, 6th grader, and 4-year old.  As I gear up for the Midwest Great Homeschool Convention, I'm trying to devise my plan.  I'll post more about that over the coming months.

I just finished listening to the first podcast, Why Study History, in the Knowledge of Man series at A Delectable Education.  I was inspired to listen after reading Emily Kiser's post at the Charlotte Mason Institute titled, An Essay Towards a Charlotte Mason History Curriculum.  I'm always intrigued by the practical application of Charlotte's methods, particularly throughout each subject.

I adore Letter 1 - Learning Not School by Nadene.  Her beginning ideas of homeschool sound much like mine.  My, how time changes us :)

Marianne Sunderland brings up an excellent point about focusing on the positive in 4 Little Known Strengths of Dyslexia.  Often times, dyslexics are judged for the things they can't do, rather than the gifts they have.

Mystie Winckler wrote an extensive post on How to Teach Writing Without a Curriculum.  The post is very long, but there are some gold nuggets there.  I look forward to her future post on beginning grammar.

Everyday play...




No comments:

Post a Comment