Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Update on Plutarch Lives...


We finished studying Plutarch's Timoleon and have now moved on to Aemilius Paulus.  I'm still using Anne White's Study Notes from Ambleside Online.  Before we started, I printed the notes and bound them with the ProClick binder.  For me, it is much easier to grab my hard copy than to bring it up online every week.

We study Plutarch every Tuesday.  I usually review from the previous week, read the introduction aloud, and we discuss any potential new vocabulary words.  Then I read aloud the assigned section, stopping after 1-2 paragraphs for discussion/narration.  Originally, I read straight through and asked for narration at the end, but this was very difficult, even for me, so I have since broke it into smaller chunks and make more frequent stops. This seems to work much better.

While the kids are narrating, I make notes.  The notes are primarily from their dictation as well as our discussion.  I read it back to them at the very end and they make additions/corrections.  I then use those notes for review the following week.




Overall, our Plutarch study usually takes anywhere from 15-25 minutes, depending on the length and breadth of the passage.  Unfortunately, our kids are really bucking Plutarch.  It's one of their least favorite subjects. Initially, I thought it would pass with time and as their understanding grew.  I even thought there was a small light at the end of Timoleon.  However, they have continued their negativity as we are about half way through Aemilius Paulus.  I attribute this to the level of difficulty of the study.  I do plan to finish Aemilius Paulus, however, I will not start a third life this year.  We will pick up Plutarch again at some point in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment