Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Beautiful Feet History of Science...


As you may know, we are using Beautiful Feet History of Science this year (5th & 6th grade).  The guide was recently revised, but I have the older edition.  We are about twenty lessons in and it's going well.  We complete two lessons per week.

The study uses a mix of living books, experiments, and notebooking.  There are also discussion questions, vocabulary words, and timeline figures.  So far, we've read Archimedes and the Door of Science and Along Came Galileo, both by Jeanne Bendick.   I love the living book approach of these books!  They are truly a mix of history and science.

Our kids like notebooking.  So at the beginning of the year, I went through the guide and created notebook pages for various activities that I wanted them to do.  Then, I used the ProClick Binder to spiral bind the pages into a book.  They are loving it and I'm impressed with the way they're turning out.  Here are photos of some of their pages completed so far...



















What are your favorite Beautiful Feet products?  Please leave a comment below.  

5 comments:

  1. This looks like what I am needing! I have had it with Apologia and find it sooo boring and it doesn't hold the attention of me (or my son really). Do you know what the difference between the older edition and the newer are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Melissa,,,I don't know the exact changes, but I bet if you contacted BF, they would tell you. Just in looking at their website, I see they've changed a few of the books. Also, the new guide says it's 85 lessons. My older guide only has 67 lessons. I have a couple of the newer guides such as Modern American & World History and Geography and they are in color with photos, illustrations, and quotes vs. the old black and white.

    Personally, I am much preferring the BF study to the Apologia books. On the other hand, our 12 year old is reading the Apologia Zoology books for fun ;-p ....she is also enjoying the BF study. Both kiddos really like their notebooks.

    Hope this sheds a little light...

    Blessings,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your helpfulness! I did email BF too, but haven't received a reply yet.

      Delete
  3. I love those pages! I had never thought of that! I'm not even sure i could pull it off. We are working through the same series right now ourselves - do you happen to have those notebooking pages available for purchase as a download or anything? We've been writing in a science notebook as the curriculum suggests, but I have to say it looks nowhere as neat, comprehensive, or well laid out. I don't know why I didn't think of it - we've used Apologia and their notebooks! Yours are very similar in style, it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind words Anne. I don't have the notebooking pages available since I pulled them from a variety of sources. Some I created, but they are not organized in a pdf or downloadable form. Maybe some day in the future when I get my act together ;-)

    Blessings,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete